Liz James, M.Ed, RCC
I am a registered clinical counsellor (BCACC), an experienced workshop facilitator, a passionate mental health advocate, and a dedicated lifelong learner. I have over 10 years of combined education and work experience in clinical counselling, mental health support, and group facilitation, as well as 30 years of personal healing and growth work. I believe that we all have a biological drive to reduce our suffering and live life more fully. My life experiences and personal therapeutic journey have proven to me the effectiveness of counselling, and brought a deep respect for those who find the courage to seek change from within.
I work with both individuals and couples experiencing relationship problems, depression, grief, anxiety, trauma and PTSD, boundary issues, and physical and/or life challenges to name just a few. Common issues that emerge in therapy include struggles with life transitions, isolation, identity issues, communication, guilt and shame, decision making, spiritual and/or religious issues, negativity, purposelessness, and family conflict.
I have had the opportunity to work with a widely diverse clientele from youth to seniors, and of different cultures and backgrounds. As a white, cisgendered woman of European origin, I will endeavour to stay open and curious to your perspective and reality and be especially sensitive with those who feel marginalized, unheard, or under-supported by dominant cultural frameworks.
Together we will explore your inner world, your challenges, desires, and emotional needs. Side-by-side we will identify your strengths and internal resources as you bring new clarity and knowledge to your life journey and integrate newly found aspects of your self.
My Theoretical Approach
I offer clients a presence that is wrapped in warmth, understanding, compassion, and sincerity. Within a safe, stable relationship the seeds of healing and growth reside, thus my theoretical approach is relational, experiential, and emotion-based. I draw from attachment theories, emotion focused theories, mindfulness and neurobiology.
As an AEDP practitioner, I work to undo aloneness by co-creating a safe, authentic and treasured relationship where clients are invited to experience and share moment-to-moment emotions and sensations. Interpersonal connection is privileged and processed; deeper emotions, sensations, thoughts and beliefs are experienced and conceptualized. New perspectives, insights, and truths emerge by integrating deep right brain somatic processes with left-brain understanding. Through this process, clients can experience adaptive nervous system changes, increased positivity, and greater vitality, clarity and hope.
I have a Bachelor of Arts degree in Clinical Psychology, and a Masters of Education degree in Counselling Psychology, both from the University of British Columbia. I am a level-1 AEDP (Accelerated Experiential Dynamic Psychotherapy) practitioner, an EMDR Therapist, and a certified Hatha yoga teacher.
I have received advanced training in:
- Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR) Basic Training (Life Journeys Counselling & Training Inc.) with Sue Genest, MSc, RCC, CCC.
- AEDP Immersion Training (AEDP Institute) with Diana Fosha, PhD, David Mars, PhD, & Karen Pando-Mars, MFT.
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (Psychotherapy.net Academy) with Rebecca Jorgensen, PhD.
- Neurobiological Treatment of Trauma (NICABM) with Ruth Buczynski, PhD, Bessel van der Kolk, MD, Pat Ogden, PhD, Ruth Lanius, MD, PhD, & Dan Siegel, MD.
- The Basics of Trauma Treatment (Inward Bound Counselling & Focusing Training) with Leslie Ellis, PhD.
- Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention (Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention of BC).
In addition to my BCACC membership, I am also a member of the Canadian Psychological Association, BC Post Secondary Counsellors’ Association, EMDR Canada, and the AEDP Institute.
- Registered Clinical Counsellor, RCC with BC Association of Clinical Counsellors
- The fees for my services are covered by many health care plans. If you have insurance benefits, check your coverage for Registered Clinical Counsellors.